Mile 0 – Kilometer 0
The mouth of the Danube or Mila 0 is located in the so-called Sulina arm of the Danube, right across from the town of Sulina. The Sulina branch runs in a straight line from west to east and, after diversion, carries only about 13 percent of the river’s entire water, but it is the most important branch of the Danube for shipping.
Between 1858 and 1902, this arm of the Danube was regulated and its bed deepened. To prevent the estuary from clogging, a barrier was built, which shifted the estuary several kilometers to the east. During this time, a new, larger lighthouse was later built there for shipping.