History of Sulina
The settlement was over time under Turkish, Austrian, Turkish rule again and in 1878, along with Dobrogea, it returned to our country as a result of the Independence War of 1877.
The documents prove that Sulina has existed since the Byzantine period when it was called Solina, the first attestation being from the year 950 in the work “De Administrando Imperio” by Constantin Porphyrogenet. Then Sulina was also identified in medieval maps in 1327 by Pietro Visconti.
From a fishing village, Sulina became a city in the 19th century, in 1856, when the European Danube Commission was established, which operated here. In 1860 and 1870, respectively, the two important monuments of the city were built, the Palace of the European Commission of the Danube and the Sulina Lighthouse, as a result of the orientation problems faced by the ship commanders who entered the arm.
According to the information provided by the Lighthouse Museum of the European Commission of the Danube, the city of Sulina was 80% destroyed by Soviet bombing during the Second World War.